What We Like
- Price to performance value.
- The three types of controls.
- The automatic on and off mode.
- The LED indicator.
What we don’t like
- The weight of the speaker.
- The size of the Klipsch R-12SW.
- Short power cord.
- Frequency Response: 29 Hz to 120 Hz
- Amplifier: All digital
- Acoustic Output: 116dB
- Enclosure Material: MDF
- Enclosure Type: Bass Reflex
- Dimensions: 16 x 14 x 18.5
- Phase: Switchable 0 to 180 degrees
- Inputs: LFE RCA / Line level jacks
- Finish: Brushed Black Polymer Veneer
- Weight: 33 lbs.
The German company, Klipsch Audio, does not compromise on design. The Klipsch R-12SW like others in their subwoofer range does not only produce a sound so well but also look great with your interior.
The speaker is a brushed black polymer veneer cabinet with a refined and elegant look. The plinth is satin painted, and it adds to the stylish looking device.
The Medium Density Fiberwood cabinets give the Klipsch speakers an aesthetic look along with durability, which can become a part of any room.
The speakers also come with a removable grille, which is strong and flexible. The grille on the speakers also gives a luxurious and sophisticated look, which makes the room look even chicer.
The pretty copper speaker adds a beautiful finish to your living room or your studio and is gorgeous to look at. The Klipsch R-12SW has a rear-firing port and a rear on and off button.
On the front of the powered subwoofer is an LED indicator which turns green when your device is in use. The device not only delivers with the sound but also with the fantastic quality design that will never be out of fashion.
Let’s take a look at the features of the Klipsch R-12SW
12” Woofer: The speakers come fitted with a 12” Spun Copper IMG (injected molded graphite) Woofer. The Klipsch R-12SW though being exceptionally firm is very light. The front firing woofer provides deep bass and gives greater flexibility for its placement. The speakers have a low-frequency response with very less distortion.
200 Watt Amplitude: The speaker works best at 200 watt RMS and 400 watt Peak.
MDF Cabinet: The enclosure protecting against any unnecessary vibration and distortion.
The R-12SW comes with three controls, which lets one layer and add on multiple tones along with other speakers to establish different levels of bass. The three controls are:
- Level Control: This controls the speaker’s volume along with your system’s other audio devices. After setting the subwoofer’s level control, the AV receiver’s volume control will act as the volume control for all, the subwoofer and your other loudspeakers.
- Phase Control: The phase control matches the Klipsch’s output to your audio system.
- Low Pass Crossover: The crossover is adjustable, and it can be varied from 40 Hz to 120 Hz. This determines where your low bass frequencies are transferred from your AV to the R-12SW
Rear-Firing Port: The enclosure is designed in such a way with a rear-firing port for more efficiency and bass when playing a movie or playing music
LFE/ RCA Inputs: The powered subwoofer features inputs which can connect the Klipsch R-12SW to the amplifier or receiver. It is compatible with all old and new inputs.
- LFE Input
- Stereo Input
Auto Power On and Off: The speakers contain a feature which turns on automatically when it senses an audio signal. It also features a Standby mode which waits for 15 to 20 minutes when there is no signal. The R-12SW can also be manually be switched on or off by the switch on the back.
LED Indicator: The power indicator is placed on the front of the Klipsch R-12SW powered subwoofer. The LED turns green when the speaker is on and receives an audio signal. The device is off when the LED is dark and unlit.
The price tag is a little higher than most devices found, but the sound production on the R-12SW is unlike any others in the market. The features that come along with it are rarely found in this price range. The Klipsch has proven to be an excellent investment to most of its audience as it has received a 4.5 out of 5 stars.
- Great precision
- Easy to use controls
- Five-year warranty
- Automatic On and Off
- Great design
- The selectable phase from 0-180
- The bass can be overpowering
- A little on the pricier side
- Placement can be difficult as it is a bit heavy
- The driver rattled after some usage in some of the products
- Comes in only one finish
- No wireless option
What’s in the box?
- A user manual
- A warranty sheet stating a warranty for five years
- A manual for safety instructions
- Grille which comes installed
- A powered sub
The verdict for the Klipsch R-12SW powered subwoofer is that it is an excellent device with a powerful sound. The features on the speaker are unlike any other found in this price range.
The price to performance value is perfect. The speakers can also be fit into any interior, and they will look great as it has an ergonomic design.
The Klipsch company has given us a great speaker that is easy to install, and though the features might make it look complicated, they are easy to use.
The powered subwoofer is a great buy and is worth digging deep as it will last you a long while.